Advocacy » Reauthorization
During Congressional reauthorization of the Ryan White Comprehensive AIDS Resources Emergency (CARE) Act, the CAEAR Coalition works with Congress to ensure the program continues to meet the needs of individuals and communities impacted by HIV/AIDS. Since the 1990s, the CAEAR Coalition has led the successful efforts to reauthorize the act four times, taking the lead in defining terms for the reauthorizations and building community consensus to speak to Congress with one voice.
Key components of CAEAR Coalition’s reauthorization efforts include.
- Membership-driven development of policy recommendations
- Comprehensive analysis of Ryan White funding
- Convening of national partners to form the Ryan White Legislative Group to build a unified voice on the Hill for reauthorization
- Development of reauthorization bill language
- Engagement of key Hill staff
- Detailed response to draft legislation
- Constituent visits to key members of Congress
- Advocacy to ensure provisions are enacted fairly and with a minimum disruption to care
Ryan White HIV/AIDS Treatment Extension Act of 2009